- Jacobs undergraduates Alexandru Babeanu (Physics), Radu Cimpeanu (Applied and Computational Mathematics), and Andrada Ianus (Physics) are Finalist Winners at the 2011 Mathematical
Contest in Modeling with their paper on "A Key Performance Variable Approach to Evaluating Efficient Halfpipe Geometry". As finalist winners, their
work was considered among the best 29 out of 2775 international teams
and the best placement of a Jacobs team at the MCM ever.
- Colloquium in Honor of Peter Oswald's 60th Birthday on Thursday, November 24, 2011,
15:00-18:30 at Haus der Wissenschaft, Bremen
- Official opening of the Howard Resnikoff Mathematics Common Room on Monday, November 14, 2011 at 18:30
- International Mathematical
Summer School for Students, July 2-12, 2011
- Jacobs students Kęstutis Česnavičius and Jessica Fintzen scored a first and Philipp
Weiss a second prize at
the International Mathematics
for University Students 2010, with Kęstutis ranking 11th out
of 329 participants. In the university ranking, the Jacobs team
came out 13th out of 98 teams, ahead of all other German teams.
- Mathematics freshmen Vaidotas Kurlianskas and Vardan Verdiyan
together with ACM sophomore Radu Frunza were awarded the
"Meritorious Winner" designation for their paper "Time and Location
Scaling Approach to
(of a serial killer) in the 2010 Mathematical
Contest in Modeling.
- Jacobs undergraduate Jessica Fintzen scored a sixth place out of
83 contestants in
Vojtěch Jarník International Mathematical
Competition. Todor Bilarev and Philipp
Weiss were among the top 12, and Vardan Verdiyan
on rank 18 (all in category I - first and second year students).
Third year students Kęstutis Česnavičius ranked 14 and
Goran Drazic ranked 25 out of 80 contestants in category II.
The 2010 IMC Team
International Mathematical Olympiad 2009
The city of Bremen hosted the
Mathematical Olympiad, July 10-22, 2009.
During this time, the Jacobs campus was home to almost 600 of the most
talented young mathematicians from 104 countries.
The 50th International Mathematical Olympiad Anniversary Celebration
in featured special guests Béla Bollobás, Timothy Gowers,
Lászlo Lovász, Stanislav Smirnov, Terence Tao, and Jean-Christophe
IMO 2009 daily news coverage.
- Symposium in Honor of Vadim Kaimanovich Saturday, November 28, 2009, 9:00-17:00 at Haus der Wissenschaft, Bremen. With lectures by Anatoly Vershik, Wolfgang Woess, Ursula Hamenstädt, Mark Pollicott, Tatiana Smirnova-Nagnibeda, and Alexander Bufetov.
- Jacobs second year undergraduate Kęstutis Česnavičius scored a third prize in the 19th Vojtěch Jarník International Mathematical Competition. Other highly ranked Jacobs participants were second year students Eugenia Rosu
and Valentin Buciumas tied on rank 12 (all in category I of the
competition, no other team of any university has their top three
participants ranked as highly) and third year student Alexandru
Sava on rank 16 (in category II).
- Jacobs University Open House, Saturday, April 25, 2009
- Jacobs students Alex Sava, Vitalie Patrinica, and Alin Iacob scored highly in the 2008
Group Mathematics Olympiad.
- Jacobs students Simon Schmitt, Viviana Petrescu, and Momchil
Minkov received an Honorable Mention at the 2008 Mathematical
Contest in Modeling.
- November 22, 2008: The Bremen
Finale of the Year of Mathematics 2008 at the Haus der
Wissenschaft. Highlights: 17:15-18:00 public general lecture by
Wolfgang Lück (Münster, recipient of the Leibniz prize 2008 and incumbent
president of the German Mathematical Society), followed by short
lectures on three of the Clay Millennium Prize problems by Michael Stoll
(Bayreuth), Eva-Maria Feichtner (Bremen) and Sönke Hansen (Paderborn).